I don't remember the last time, I asked for help in studies and
similar activities. Well, that is because I am a self learner. I am gonna
discuss how to be a self learner and why should one develop this skill. You
see, most young students in this country (ones with available resources such as
text books and internet), often come up with excuses that they can't really
understand something, such as a topic and that they need a teacher or someone
to explain. Such students remain dependent their whole lives. If one develops
the ability to do self learning he can eventually become a better person in the
future and also one with the ability to rely on himself and being independent
becomes easier.
I am going to give you can example of myself. I'm waiting for the admissions for universities to start because I wasted a year or should i say, I took a gap year. I should mention that I spent a semester in a university already but left due to lack of motivation (long story short). But when I left I thought what should I do other than just sitting on the couch all day and procrastinating and delaying the preparation for the entry tests this year. I started searching the internet and came up with several websites offering courses such as coursera.org, udemy and a lot of ways to learn online. Since I am a self learner so I just use the internet to learn things.
I am going to give you can example of myself. I'm waiting for the admissions for universities to start because I wasted a year or should i say, I took a gap year. I should mention that I spent a semester in a university already but left due to lack of motivation (long story short). But when I left I thought what should I do other than just sitting on the couch all day and procrastinating and delaying the preparation for the entry tests this year. I started searching the internet and came up with several websites offering courses such as coursera.org, udemy and a lot of ways to learn online. Since I am a self learner so I just use the internet to learn things.
This was just an instance from my life. But I should tell you
that, when one goes in university, he has already stepped into the professional
life and in university you get trained for the life ahead. They say university
life is all chill and easy but it isn't. It's even worse, no matter what
subjects you take, even arts, it will still be hard. Because in the university,
you're an adult and you are becoming more independent after each year. Big
projects and events come up and to deal with them one has to be very
knowledgeable. Now comes the hard part, where you have to be a part of a team
or a group, for example in projects, events, even during studying you will need
friends. Now if you are a loner type of guy you might find it hard to be a part
of a group or a team. So you will have to be the one who is more of a self
learning guy. Now I am writing tips on how to become one, and what happens when
you finally are able to do this.
1) Start by practicing on
your English:
Yes, English has taken over the world. To get up in this life you
need English. Its different in case of European countries but since in our case
we need English because we are a developing nation ( that's what we will always
be I guess). Since all books are written in English you need English skills to
become a better learner, this way you won't have to open up the dictionary
every minute to learn the meaning of a word that just comes up in between your
physics topic and breaks your concentration.
2) Love books:
You must love books. Books are your friends and books can
give you tremendous amount of knowledge. If you can just figure out how to
study your own course books effectively you will never need a teacher. You will
have better skills and not just more knowledge, but better concepts. Now one of
the problems with learning through books is, you can't just learn everything
from the same book. Because when learning from books by yourself, you sometimes
get stuck at topics for long time where a teacher could have got you through in
a few minutes. Now to deal with that thing, you have to use different books at
a time. Since books used for Pakistani boards just simply suck and don't go in
depth and make things difficult for students, you should go to old book shops
and get some other international level books on same subjects. The point is,
you never know what's better for you. You might find an author's books more
easier and suitable than others. So when self studying, you need to do a lot of
research by yourself, but in the end you will have more knowledge than a lot of
other students.
3) Use internet:
The internet is the best thing a man has ever invented. Stop
wasting your time on Facebook and other social procrastination networks. Use
internet whenever you're stuck in studies, take free courses, learn new things
every day. Randomly surfing the internet for such things will benefit you a lot
than just staring at your wall, I mean the Facebook wall, not knowing what to
do because there is nothing to do. You know, you can even do blogging like I am
doing and who knows you might earn a lot of money from blogging or websites or
become a writer and one day publish your own book. And when you feel like there
is no one to teach you, internet is the place you come to instead of texting
your friends to do group study who is himself busy doing his own studies. I
don't know about you, but in my small circle of friends, none is actually my
real friend, and in the end they have their own lives to live and I have my own
so I don't rely on anyone other than internet. Blocking YouTube has made life
worse for me, but a human brain is designed in such a way that it figures its
way around and finds solutions such as in this case proxy. So if you feel like
you really want to study a topic but YouTube is blocked, you can always use
Hotspot shield or spotflux but as long as you're going to YouTube only.
Remember they blocked other lewd websites for a reason so don't go off
wandering.
Well those were just some tips from me. I don't really have a
social life, but that's okay for me. I watch a lot of movies and play video
games and I have to admit, they have helped me a lot. And also, if you're not
psychologically ill, then video games don't really have any effect on you, its
just conspiracies to stop us from playing games and become more social and
stuff. You have to be good at controlling your mind. As long as you have self
discipline and motivation, you can have a balanced life with both studies and
fun. But who needs social life when you have so many games and movies around,
social life in Pakistan is just crap. No where to go, mean friends blah blah...
i will talk about that later, since that is what this blog is for so follow
this motto, "WORK HARD, PLAY HARD". Good luck. Remember, once you get
into this self learning stuff everything will become easy for you and when in
the future you graduate and look for jobs, you will always be preferred because
things are always moving, just like Tyler Durden said in Fight Club,
"Nothing is static, everything is falling". Yes, everything is moving
and so do you have to adjust yourself with the pace with which the world is
moving. Constant learning is what employers look for when hiring employees. I will look forward to expanding this article once I get some viewers.
No comments:
Post a Comment